Guide to brushing your teeth the right way
We all learned as kids that brushing your teeth several times a day is part of a healthy daily routine. However, numerous studies show that the vast majority of people fail to brush their teeth the right way.
Proper dental care is the cornerstone of perfect oral health, making it crucial to raise public awareness in the young and old alike about the importance of brushing teeth the right way.
Casanova25, your dentist in Barcelona, has created a step-by-step teeth brushing guide to help you learn about the best way to ensure a bright, healthy smile.
No skipping steps!
A step-by-step guide to the best technique for brushing your teeth
- Choose the right toothbrush for you. Adults need a medium-sized brush with medium bristles and children should use a smaller brush: many have cartoons and characters to encourage proper brushing habits. Buy a high-quality toothpaste and one with a kid-friendly flavor (and with the recommended amount of fluoride for children).
- To brush, place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums using light pressure and move the brush from the gum to the teeth, which will help clean the outer surface of the upper and lower teeth. And always remember to massage the gum first. Brushing is about more than just your teeth: your gums need cleaning as well!
- Now it's time for the inner surfaces of the teeth, using the same technique as before. You don’t want to skip this step, one of the most important for proper brushing, because it helps prevent a full range of oral diseases.
- The next step is to brush the chewing surfaces of the teeth by moving the brush back and forth over the tops of the teeth. Repeat this step several times, applying pressure without hurting your gums.
- Now use the tip of the toothbrush to clean the inner side of your front teeth. Use gentle, slow movements and checking to make sure the inner surface of your teeth feels smooth.
- And, of course, you can’t forget the tongue…you’ve got to brush that, too!
- Now it’s time to floss. Cut a piece of floss, wind the ends around your index and middle fingers, insert the floss into the space between your teeth and gently move to clean. Flossing removes plaque and food particles in places where a toothbrush cannot easily reach.
- And you’re done! Easy, right? Now all you have to do is apply these simple steps every time you brush your teeth, three times a day.
If you follow each step we guarantee that you’ll keep your mouth healthy and clean, easily preventing many oral diseases with a proper brushing routine and excellent oral health.
As specialists in oral hygiene care in Barcelona, at Casanova25 we recommend at least two dental check-ups a year, in addition to following the steps above, for a happy, healthy mouth.
Make an appointment through our contact form or by calling 93 451 03 86!