How often should you get a professional dental cleaning?
In today's article we will discuss the recommendations our specialists give to our patients about dental cleaning and how many are recommended a year. But let's start at the beginning. Why should you get your teeth cleaned?
Well, getting your teeth cleaned is one of the simplest dental procedures and the main objective is to eliminate the bacterial plaque and tartar built up on the teeth, the gum line and between the teeth (interdental). The dental hygienist or dentist will perform the cleaning.
The dental cleaning procedure can take anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the patient’s oral health:
- It takes longer when there is more plaque build-up.
- Condition of the gums (bleeding, gingivitis)
Now comes the question: how many times should you get your teeth cleaned a year? The general rule is once a year, but it depends on each patient and their oral health. We recommend a second yearly cleaning for those patients who:
- Frequently consume sugary foods and beverages.
- Take medications that dry out the mouth.
- Have had orthodontic appliances and wear a retainer.
- Have limited space in the mouth, with crowded teeth, which makes it difficult to clean teeth and floss.
- Have been successfully treated with curettes and require a check-up and cleaning every 6 months.
If you are one of these people and it’s been a while since your last cleaning, we recommend making an appointment with our dentist in Barcelona to prevent potential problems like gingivitis or, even worse, periodontal disease or periodontitis.