What are dental crowns?
A dental crown is a type of prosthesis or “cap” that completely surrounds the treated tooth to improve both appearance and functionality. Our experts at the Casanova25 Barcelona dental clinic treat your tooth to ensure the exact same shape, color and size as the original.
The dentist will recommend a dental crown in the following situations:
- To cover a dental implant
- To repair a damaged or fractured tooth
- To improve the appearance of a discolored or deformed tooth
- To prevent breakage in weak teeth
Dental crowns play a fundamental role in both tooth appearance and functionality, fully restoring the tooth’s chewing capabilities. Anyone who hides their smile because they are ashamed of a fractured, discolored or badly positioned tooth, a dental crown is a quick and affordable solution to getting your smile back and regaining your self-esteem.
Types of dental crowns
We work with four types of dental crowns At the Casanova25 dental clinic, choosing the most suitable option depending on the patient’s needs:
- Porcelain crowns: This type of crown is generally used to improve the tooth’s appearance, that is, the tooth is not damaged or fractured and simply requires a color correction. The disadvantage of this type of crown is that it is less resistant, therefore, porcelain crowns are placed on less used (not used for chewing), more visible teeth.
- Metal crowns: These crowns are made of 100% metal. The advantage is that they are the most resistant type of crown; however, with these crowns the tooth is capped with metal, which is why they are placed on less visible teeth used for chewing.
- Porcelain/metal crowns: These are strong, sturdy crowns designed to cap those teeth that are less visible and need to work harder (molars). They are cheaper than zirconium crowns because they are made of a piece of porcelain-covered metal, but look just as natural as regular porcelain crowns.
- Zirconium crowns: These crowns are thinner and less bulky than porcelain/metal crowns. We recommend these crowns for more visible teeth. Zirconium crowns are the most expensive option, however, this type of crown provides the most natural result.
How much does a dental Crown cost?
The price of a dental crown depends on several factors:
- Function of the dental crown, that is, if it for aesthetic purposes or to improve the functionality of the tooth.
- The type of dental crown.
- The manufacturer and supplier of the dental crown.
- The placement itself.
Make an appointment with your dentist at Casanova25 if you have a broken tooth or simply want to improve your smile.